Tuesday 25 February 2020

Sed post triennii tempus






The pope's Motu Proprio "Vos Estis Lux Mundi" quickened my heart for a short while last year and I re-submitted my complaint in the hope that this time a proper investigation might ensue. With the onus of responsibility being on any cleric or religious thus notified to report to ecclesiastical authority, I copied in many of the English hierarchy in the hope that this would help prevent cover - up.
 I was contacted by Arundel & Brighton safeguarding who pointed me in the direction of a support organisation and finally:


Dear Tom,
I am not entirely sure who to advise you to further your complaint with in the Benedictine Order, however I believe oversight may come from the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life and Apostolic Life in Rome. Here is a link to the website where there is also a link to email them:
I do hope this helps but do get back in touch if you need further assistance.

This seemed to bring things full circle and I then ceased communication but did drop a line to Rome:

 Dear Cardinal Bráz de Aviz,

I have been trying in vain to get a response from The Abbot President Of The Subiaco - Cassinese congregation Abbot  Guillermo Arboleda Tamayo OSB or anyone with jurisdiction over Abbot Cuthbert Brogan and Farnborough Abbey regarding my historic experiences and deep concern that he and other members of that community, particularly former Society Of St. John SSJ priest Fr Dominic Carey, now Dom Gregory Carey OSB pose to young men.

 It was suggested by Philip Wright of Arundel & Brighton diocese UK, safeguarding, that you might be able to help?
Please find my recent attempts by way of this forwarded email and links charting and chronicling the two and a half years to date of my campaign.

Kind Regards,

Tom Wood

No response! 

I discovered Portsmouth has a "Vicar For Religious" so dropped the new one a line, who wrote back:




Dear Mr. Wood,
Thank you for your mail and kind words. Though my new job was announced it will take time to begin.  When I officially take up my position on Sept 1st I will follow up with you. 
Regards
FrDavid

Fr. David O'Sullivan dosullivan@portsmouthdiocese.org.uk


 

 

Diocesan reporting mechanisms

The law mandates that each diocese in the world sets up, by June 2020, "one or more public, stable and easily accessible systems for submission of reports" concerning sexual abuse.[1] As noted by Andrea Tornielli, "the legislation does not specify what these "systems" consist of, because it leaves operational choices to the diocese; and these may differ according to various cultures and local conditions". [3]
 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vos_estis_lux_mundi#Diocesan_reporting_mechanisms


 About 3 months away from the deadline it would appear England & Wales arrangements will remain the same!

 Here's one you can actually read, but I've left this picture deliberately!

In August I was contacted by two former Farnborough novices who had only recently left. I discovered that in total 4 had left during 2019. During our communications I became even more convinced in my purpose and that Abbot Cuthbert Brogan and his malformed community pose a significant risk to the welfare both spiritual and temporal of prospective members and young males both home and abroad!
 One of the men having noted my hitherto failure is pursuing our common purpose advisedly and chooses not to reveal themselves or their experiences here on the blog, at least for the time being. I sincerely hope they are successful in obtaining remedy. We wish all those harmed, healing and peace but this is only fully possible with Justice!

We were shocked in the autumn to discover Brogan had been promoted to the position of Abbot Visitor. Our recent departures had been most distressed by the failure during a visitation by the previous incumbant, to address their concerns. Promoting Brogan to this position, one can only assume, is a deliberate attempt to further cover up and whether deliberate or consequential, further traumatises his victims! To top it all we were given painful evidence of the congregations care for victims in the form of a photograph of a complaint against Brogan sitting on his desk!

Towards the end of the year we were contacted by another former F'bro monk with stories of the sadly familiar. Of particular note, much to our distress, were his account of the appalling treatment senior monks D. Magnus and Wulstan had to endure.

Finally, I loved and still do love the very special "Thin" place that St Michael's Abbey / Farnborough Abbey is!
 Running a facebook page for the campaign in addition to this blog risks tainting this and so I have re-branded it St Michael's Abbey Past & Present where we can celebrate the best of what F'bro was, is and can be.



 

                                                              
 

6 comments:

  1. Have you thought about approaching the Apostolic Nunciature?

    54 Parkside, Wimbledon, London SW19 5NE
    Phone: 020 8944 7189

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, it is kind of you to comment and make this suggestion. The answer is yes, I have thought about it and I would have copied them into various correspondence over the years but for my inability to find their email address, either office or the nuncio themselves. Of course some will say that the proper procedure is to write a letter to which my response is that this is the 21st century! They make it difficult because they don't want you to bother and they don't answer because they hope you'll go away... which I would... were it not an unshakable sense of duty and responsibility to those potentially at risk today and my care and concern for other victims who have made themselves known to me and those who have not.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My suggestion is you send the ll the evidence you have anyway, even if the Nuncio does nothing at this point, it would have to be taken into consideration if Cuthbert is being looked at/recommended for a bishopric.The College of Bishops in Rome would need to be aware of this complaint before a recommendation is made to the Holy Father. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cuthbert gaining a bishopric might be the best thing for Farnborough Abbey whilst at the same time being a disaster for The Church. Would the congregation parachute someone in? Mind you, Gregory will likely be solemnly professed next year and Stanislaus ordained soon, perhaps making them both eligible to be elected Superior about the same time? I fear that many are, congregation included, pretty much now cut from the same cloth though I fear suppression leaves the abbey premises in a dire situation. sadly, this is of course preferable to people being harmed. We would just have to hope for a sensitive alternative use in such case but in anycase let's pray The Holy Spirit inspires damascean, demonstrable true conversion of life in the Farnborough monks modelled, after Our Lord, who came to serve, not be served. I will think about your suggestion. I don't have a working printer but can ask someone who does. Thanks again for your interest and taking the time and trouble to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nunciatures and College of Bishops are known to not be under reliable oversight any more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you know all of this is par for the course. Since nobody is prepared to do anything the best bet now is to wait until the event we all know is coming, does come. When that happens none of the authorities will have a leg to stand on.

    ReplyDelete