Friday 24 April 2020

The Knox Room

A Double Room Within The Monastic Enclosure!

It's the room where Ronald Knox was received into the church and during my time was the Calefactory. It is the room recounted here from my final visit to date in 1995:

"He freaked me out by introducing myself to a lad he described as a former choir boy, all by ourselves, just the three of us, in the upstairs calefactory that was. Was it innocent? On the day of our profession I watched Richard Hesketh, a lad Cuthbert had known from his passionist days in Liverpool, drive quickly passed me on the Abbey drive. I recall his face. like someone hurt who couldn't wait to get out of there quick enough. Had Cuthbert invited him to display me, his latest? This is certainly what came to mind as I sat against the west wall of the calefactory with Cuthbert and this lad together under the far window. Was he doing the same to me? It was at that point that I vowed to myself if I ever heard of a minor being hurt, then I would tell my story. Unfortunately at the time, I neither considered how hurt I had been and therefore how hurt other vulnerable adults may have been. (I think anyone both taking a leap of faith and placing oneself under a superior, is consequentially vulnerable and safeguarding in this regard, needs to be examined!) "

 I have also been informed that at that time Cuthbert kept a selection of "Sword & Sandal" movies which he would show to young men with a view to assisting them with any matters which might....arise!

I both laughed, cried and felt abused all over again on seeing these photos and how Cuthbert has changed a monastery into at best, a Gentleman's Gay Club and at worst a hell hole of bullying and abuse! The Reality behind "The Charade Behind The Facade!"







(Straight behind the door in full view of the bed! No frosted glass!)





1 comment:

  1. Actually it was in that very room he kept the video because it was then in the guesthouse.

    ReplyDelete